Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A transparent lateral democracy.


I have mentioned before that we live in a day and age where internet technology has led us to a place where interconnectedness has grown to where it might possibly replace the flawed system of representative democracy. We can post a picture or comment on any number of sites and get feed back, positive or negative from thousands or more within hours or days. Why can't we have that kind of access to the political system that has real world implications on our daily lives?

While there is still a segment of the population that is not internet literate enough to employ a lateral democracy at this moment, I think it will not be long before this will become less and less of an issue.

If I ran for office I would set up a secure .gov website where anyone willing to register their social security number and lives with in my constituency would be able to vote as well as weigh in on a public forum on a daily basis about the issues that cross my desk. I imagine my self in that position as a truly public servant and regardless of my personal views, it would be the will of the people I would respect.

We should tear down the walls of access to our political leadership. The technical issues like security and fraud are not insurmountable. A system like this could be made secure and put in place within a year. While I doubt it would mean serious advancement of my personal political views, just bringing about more political access to the general populace would alone serve the greater good.

As I have said before, I don’t think this would be a boon or bust for the corporate system of capitalism. Corporations are after all made up of people, and if they treat their people right, it would behoove them to vote in the interests of the parent company. What I do not agree with is giving them the loudest voice in the our current political system that is basically for sale to the highest bidder at this point.

I welcome your comments either here or on my new twitter account @marcqmindaccess

1 comment:

  1. Quite frankly Marcq, I fear the dumbing down of America has been so effective, the idea of a lateral democracy, skewed by the average Wal-Mart shopper, scares me more than the idea of a "few" educated elitists does. Are we really ready for mob rule?

    Chuckster

    ReplyDelete