Thursday, February 13, 2020

Honest Truth


I left college not because the classes were challenging, not because of any existential questions about my future. I left because of the cost. Once my student loans became uncomfortable, meaning I didn't know if I could pay them off with a year's worth of hard work at my usual jobs, I called it. I have been a "pay your way" kind of person for most of my life. I paid for community college by working night shift at a concrete plant.

But like anything in a capitalist society, the expenses will always be poured on. The idea isn't about the best and the brightest, or even the hardest working coming to the top, no its about nepotism. The idle rich are paying for new library wings to push mediocrity into the highest offices. Ultimately money can buy a lot of things, but success just is never going to be one of them.

You just can't buy smart. Just because your grandfather had a good idea, does not make you a genius. Inter-generational wealth and the protectionist lean of the inherited riches has caused more damage to society than any war. Its fine to be born rich, but know your place. Understand how wealth is generated, and realize that nothing really separates your basic needs from anyone else's, besides a false wall of pointless gilding. The same chicken might have laid the egg of a brioche or an omelet.

Now as I look to spend the rest of my working life as a heavy equipment operator. Facing the cold of a January morning with nothing more than a cup of coffee to keep me warm. I dare anyone to say I am less worthy of a comfortable retirement. less worthy of medical coverage. less worthy sick days and vacation. I doubt anyone who works to deprive us working men would have have the courage to say it to our faces.

We have to stand up for what we want. In a capitalist society, that means forming a union. In a civilized society, that means being a citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment